Monday 28 February 2011

DancingBeaver and the Nintendo 3DS Part 1: Planning

So, I have decided to get a Nintendo 3DS at launch, and I mean, at launch, like 12:01am on Friday 25th March 2011.

Now, I know its going to cost me about £230 for the Console and Street Fighter, that is sorted, its will I get it at 12:01am on Friday 25th March. There are 5 places in Hartlepool I can get it, and I have decided to write a brake down of the pro's and cons of each place.
I'm doing them alphabetical, its not a favouritism type thing.

Asda
Console Only Price: £199.00 - With Street Fighter 3D: £226.91
I have had experience with Asda and midnight releases before, going with a friend the night World of Warcraft The Burning Crusade was released, they where being douche bags about the whole thing. I have also heard stories about other games, where the staff told the person that it was illegal for them to sell the game before its release date, thats true, but 12:01am is the next day, and therefore, the release date.
Pros: Its close to my house and open 24 hours anyway.
Cons: They can be iffy about selling it at midnight and may not do pre-orders.

Chips
Console Only Price: Unknown, Online Prices Differ from Stores
I like the Chips store here, its owned by the Manager as a franchise, and he knows his stuff, but that means it can be a bit pricey, he has done midnight opening for things like Call of Duty and I guess he would do one for the 3DS if there was enough interest in one.
Pros: Its not inside the town centre so no special arrangements have to be made, possible to wait inside.
Cons: Price, may not do a midnight opening if there isn't enough interest.


Gamestation
Console Only Price: Unknown, Online Prices Differ From Stores
This is tough, I'm not a big fan of Gamestation, or the group that owns them. I know I can pre-order it for £10 (refundable) and there is a 50% chance of them doing the midnight opening, but since they are inside the town center, but very close to an entrance, they would have to make arrangements with the management, and they would have to get security in and all that stuff (I went to the HP7 midnight launch, but that's another story). Now, Gamestation would be the best place to go, but I'm not sure.
Pros: Most likely to do a midnight launch, Dedicated Game Store.
Cons: Price.


Granger Games
Console Only Price: Unknown, Online Prices Differ From Stores
Granger is the new kid on the block, but its a good store, they did a Midnight launch for Call of Duty Black Ops and the staff where dressed up for it (I didn't go, but was told when chatting up one of the staff =P), but we are talking about a £200 bit of hardware and not a billion pound game (I died a little inside typing that), so, again, it depends on interest in the console. They are also inside the Town Centre, so same applies here to Gamestation in this regard.
Pros: May do a midnight launch if there is enough interest, Dedicated Game Store.
Cons: Price.


Tesco
Console Only Price: £197.00 - With Street Fighter 3D: Unknown, No Game Pricing Data Online
Cant say much about this one, I hardly go to tesco unless I am at Ed's house and he needs to pop over. I will probbably skip tesco all together, even though they are selling it for the cheapest price anywhere, we will see.
Pros: Cheapest 3DS anywhere in the country and its open 24 hours anyways.
Cons: I know nothing about there midnight launch stuff, Don't know game pricing (expecting £30), May not do pre-orders.


I'm off into town on Wednesday anyway, so will get more info about what's happening with the 3DS launch in Hartlepool then, I will update pricing on this page too when I get the info. I am also going to tease my little brother with it and, AND..!
I am going to drag Ed down with me, to record it. I will have more details about that when I know where I am getting my console from. But I want it to be special.

No comments:

Post a Comment